ILEARN Resources for ParentsPosted on October 9, 2019
ILEARN is Indiana’s standardized test. It is an online computer adaptive assessment designed to measure students’ proficiency of the Indiana Academic Standards in Grades 3–8. At the high school level, students enrolled in Biology and U.S. Government take ILEARN as End-of-Course-Assessments (ECA).
Last school year (2018-19) was the first time ILEARN was administered. This year it will be administered again to students in the spring.
What does it mean that the test is computer-adaptive?
Every time a student answers a question, his or her response helps determine the next question presented. The difficulty of the test will adjust to each student’s skills, providing a better measure of what each student knows and can do. For more information, click here to visit the IDOE website.
Because the ILEARN test is online it has built in tools for students to use while testing:
- Built-in glossaries allow students to select unfamiliar words and read their definitions.
- Glossaries are available in English, Arabic, Burmese, Mandarin, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
- Students are provided with authentic tools, such as spell check, a dictionary, and a thesaurus for use when responding to the writing task.
- The Desmos calculator (provided for Mathematics Grades 6–8) is available for students to practice using free of charge at: desmos.com.
- Spanish translations (stacked over the English version) are available for Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
Online resources parents can use at home to help prepare their students
- Indiana’s Released Items Repository allows students to interact with released items and try some of the tools and features: https://login12.cloud1.tds.airast.org/student/V367/Pages/LoginShell.aspx?c=Indiana_PT
- Indiana’s ILEARN Portal provides information and resources for understanding the assessment at: https://ilearn.portal.airast.org/
- The ILEARN for Families website answers questions about ILEARN: https://www.doe.in.gov/assessment/ilearn-families
Student ILEARN reports
- Reports provide a scale score as an indication of overall student achievement in a grade level, as well as several subscores.
- Parents and guardians may request rescores of open-ended items through the local school.
Last Modified January 23, 2020